Historian Woody Minor
Bungalow Courts of the Island City
7:00 p.m., October 23, 2016
Immanuel Lutheran Church: 1420 Lafayette Street, Alameda, CA
(Parking available at the corner of Chestnut Street and Santa Clara Avenue.)
Free for AAPS members; $5 for non-members
[singlepic id=689 w=320 h=240 float=center]
Bungalow courts—clustered cottages on shared parcels or cul-de-sac streets—first appeared in Alameda in 1910, toward the end of the post-earthquake population boom, and proliferated in the 1920s. They represented a new approach to residential development: a response to the increased demand for housing and rising property values.