Alameda Monuments in Order Designated by City Council

List by Judith Lynch


#1 
Alameda City Hall

2263 Santa Clara Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1895-96
Architect: Percy & Hamilton
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival
Original Owner: City of Alameda
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 2.4.1976
State Historical Resource # 908
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 10.14.1980

#2 Alameda Theatre
2315-23 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1931-32
Architect: Miller & Pflueger
Architectural Style: Moderne
Original Owners: Nasser Brothers
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 2.4.1976

#3 Alameda High School
2200 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1924-26
Architect: Carl Werner
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Original Owner: Alameda Unified School District-State of California
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 5.25.1977
State Historical Resource # 495
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 5.12.1977

#4 St. Joseph’s Basilica
1109 Chestnut Street
Years of Construction-Completion: 1920-21
Architect: Shea &  Minton
Architectural Style: Mission Revival
Original Owner: Catholic Archdiocese
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 7.19.1977
State Historical Resource #664
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 9.18.1978

#5 Sanctuary Building of the First Presbyterian Church
2001 Santa Clara Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1903-04
Architect: Henry H. Meyers
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Original Owner:  Presbytery of San Francisco
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 10.4.1977
State Historical Resource #928
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 11.25.1980
Emplaqued by Native Sons of the Golden West: 2004

#6 First Church of Christ, Scientist
2164 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1920-22
Architect: Carl Werner
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Original Owner: First Church of Christ Scientist Alameda
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 10.4.1978

#7 U.S.  Post Office
2417 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1912-14
Architects: John Knox Taylor, William A. Newman
Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival
Original Owner: Federal government
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 1978??
((No Council resolution confirmed by City Clerk 7.13.07))

 

#8 First Congregational Church of Alameda
1912 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1904-05
Architect: D. Franklin Oliver
Architectural Style: Queen Anne (Arts & Craft?)
Original Owner: First Congregational Church of Alameda
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 3.20.1979

#9 Croll Building (Britt Hotel)
1400 Webster Street
Year of Construction-Completion: 1879
Architect: Unknown
Architectural Style: Mansard or Second Empire
Original Owner: Patrick Britt
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 5.15.1979
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 10.4.1982
California State Landmark #954

#10 Alameda Masonic Temple
1329-31 Park Street
Years of Construction-Completion: 1890-91
Architect: Charles Mau
Architectural Style: Queen Anne Commercial
Original Owner: Oak Grove Lodge (established 1871)
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 9.18.1979
State Historical Resource #1073
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 3.25.1982

#11 Second Empire Residence (Schnabel House)
2233 Santa Clara Avenue
Year of Construction-Completion: 1880
Builder: Edward Childs
Architectural Style: Second Empire or Mansard
Original Owner: August Schnabel
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 11.20.1979

#12 Union Iron Works Turbine Machine Shop (Bethlehem-Alameda Shipyard machine shop, nicknamed “The Red Brick Building”)
(Demolished in 1985)
Original address:  2200 Webster Street
New address: 801 Marina Village Parkway
Years of Construction-Completion: 1917-18
Architect: John Reid, Jr.
Architectural Style: Brick Industrial
Original Owner: Union Iron Works
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 10.7.1980
State Historical Resource #857
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 4.10.1980

#13 Union Iron Works Substation
Original address:  2308 Webster Street
New address: 1305 Marina Village Parkway
Years of Construction-Completion: 1916-17
Architect: Frederick H. Meyer
Architectural Style: Brick Industrial
Original Owner: Union Iron Works
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 10.7.1980
State Historical Resource #852
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 1.10.1980

#14 American Red Cross-Alameda Chapter (Gardner House)
2017 Central Avenue
Year of Construction-Completion: 1902
Architect: Cunningham & Politeo
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Original Owner: Mary Frances Gardner McGurn
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 8.4.1981

#15 Lincoln Park (Thompson Estate)
High Street between Santa Clara and Central Avenues
Site of Thompson mansion, which burned in 1884, soon after being built in 1880-81. The iron fence dates from 1879. The lot was purchased by City in 1908 for use as park; it opened in 1909.
Original Owner: Capt. Robert R. Thompson
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 12.15.1981

#16 Alameda Free Library (Carnegie Library)
2264 Santa Clara Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1902-03
Architect: Willcox & Curtis
Architectural Style: Classical
Original Owner: City of Alameda
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 4.6.1982
State Historical Resource #117
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 6.25. 1982

#17 Veterans Memorial Building
2203 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1928-29
Architect: Henry H. Meyers
Architectural Style: Art Deco-Moderne with a whiff of Romanesque
Original Owner: County of Alameda
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 4.7.1982
State Historical Resource #2371
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 9.27.2007

#18 Park Street Historic Commercial District
72 structures (one demolished: Webb Avenue garage)
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 11.1980 (??)
State Historical Resource #1105
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 5.12.1982

#19 Dr. Edith Meyers Center (Greenleaf House)
1724 Santa Clara Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1891
Architect: Ernest Coxhead
Architectural Style: Queen Anne
Original Owner: David Greenleaf
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 6.26.1984

#20 1,297 Post-top and Pendant Style Street Lights
Includes the following:
103 Post-top globe lights (1912-1925)
1 Post-top trident (1917)
76 16-fluted post-top lights (1939-1941)
675 16-fluted pendants and double pendants (1939-1949)
236 Octo-fluted pendants (1952-1954)
205 Smooth-pole pendants (1955-1958)
1 Concrete post-top (c.1950)
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 11.18.1987

#21 Bureau of Electricity Central Substation
1828 Grand Street
Property consists of three buildings: Substation
Building (1936), Fire Alarm Building (1936), Battery Building (1939).
Architect: Andrew T. Hass, Substation and Fire Alarm Buildings
Architect Unknown: Battery Building.
Architectural Style: Moderne
NOTE:  Plaque on side says built by Works Progress Administration (WPA)
Original Owner: City of Alameda
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 12.2.1987

#22 Webster House
1238 Versailles Avenue
Year of Construction: 1854
Architect: Unknown
Architectural Style: Carpenter Gothic
Original Owner: John Nelson Webster
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 4.5.1988
Date added to National Register of Historic Places
NOTE:  See Alameda Semi-weekly Argus 6.6.1888
Emplaqued by Native Sons of the Golden West: 2003

#23 The Adelphian Club
2167 Central Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1908
Architect: William C. Willcox
Architectural Style: Mission Revival
Original Owner: Adelphian Club for Women
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 10.20.1988

#24 1630 Ninth Street (Whidden House)
Years of Construction-Completion: 1878-79
Architect: Unknown
Architectural Style: Italianate
Original Owner: William Whidden
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 10.18.1988

#25 Leonard Mansion
891 Union Street
Years of Construction-Completion: 1896
Architects: Joseph A. Leonard, C. H. Russell
Architectural Style: Queen Anne
Original Owner: Joseph A. Leonard
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 12.5.1996
Emplaqued by Alameda Architectural Preservation Society: 1999

#26 Meyers  House
2021 Alameda Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1897
Architect: Henry H. Meyers
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Original Owner: Henry H. Meyers
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 5.21.1997

#27 Posey  Tube  
2295 Mariner Square Loop
Years of Construction-Completion: 1928
Architect: Henry H. Meyers
Architectural Style: Art Deco
Original Owner: Alameda County Public Works Office. Acquired by State of California Department of Transportation in 1947 when Route 260 was added to the State Highway System
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 7.2.1997
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: Forms filled out but no indication they were forwarded to State Office of Historic Preservation

#28 Alameda Point (Naval Air Station Alameda) Historic District
Years of Construction-Completion: 1938-1945
Architect: Albert Kahn and others
Architectural Style: Moderne
Original Owner: United States Navy
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 9.8.1999 (no Monument number was specified)
Date added to National Register of Historic Places: 1.23.2013
California State Landmark #440

#29 Del Monte Warehouse (California Packing Warehouse)  
1315 Buena Vista Avenue
Years of Construction-Completion: 1927
Architect: R.W. Littlefield
Engineer: Phillip Bush
Architectural Style:  Classical Revival with Mission elements
Original Owner: California Packing Corporation
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 2.3.2004

#30 Bruton House 
1240 St Charles Streeet
Years of Construction-Completion: 1897
Architect-Builder: Daniel Straub & Son
Architectural Style:  Colonial Revival
Original Owners: Daniel and Helen Bruton
Date Monument Status Conferred by City Council: 4.3.2012